Monday, October 5, 2009

'What's in a name.'

As I have been getting ready to submit my first manuscript. I've been going over pseudonym. At first, I chose L. B. Bennett. Then my youngest, said mom, "What will people call you?" Huh, now there's a thought. So as a family we discussed it at the dinner table. It's funny how you think you want your children's opinions, until you ask. Let me just say, I got an ear full, of it's to masculine, it's not personable enough, but the ultimate decision is mine and I wanted L.B. Bennett. Then, the more I thought about it, the more I realized the only people who have ever called me by my initials are men, and although I like men, they are not my target audience--women are.

Sheesh, I wonder, do all writers have a problem coming up with a pen name or just me?

The next step was to Google my name and see if anyone else has it. I'll spare you all the details, but yes it is being used. However, it is with an ie at the end, and not ee, which is me. And for some reason, I feel this makes me unique and special, since, I have never met anyone who spells their name like mine.

After much deliberation, Google and talking to other writer's. I have chosen to go with Leslee Bennett. The reason I went with my maiden name and not my married--is this. My parents have three lovely daughters, and no son's to carry on the family name. So when my father died eighteen years this Thanksgiving, our last name died with him. In a small way this is my way of keeping my family name and legacy alive.

I hope you like it. I know I do. Here's hoping we'll see it on every major bookseller shelves in the future in big embossed letters...Leslee Bennett, just wanted to see how it looked. :)

3 comments:

  1. I really like your name choice! I think it is great to keep the Bennett name going---we thought our family name was going to end too, since there were 4 girls in our family, but luckily Christopher was born and we don't have to worry about it anymore. Ha ha. Good luck with getting your blog up and going! So far I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your Pseudo name.. ;) Your Dad would be proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good name choice. I'm sure it will serve the family legacy well. Can't wait to read the first major work by Leslee Bennett.

    ReplyDelete