Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I like that!

I like the word that. That is to say, I edited my manuscript using search and replace and it took me ten hours to look through all the times I used the word that. “What’s that?” You said, “Really, that long, wow!” So I decided to see how often that four letter word comes up in everyday conversations. Here’s what I found out. It is obvious that we as Americans like the word that. Not only do I like the words that, but others like me do to. It can be a valuable word and yet it is quite possibly highly over used. However, I have come to realize through editing my manuscript that I have a personal relationship with the word that. That’s crazy, I know, and it’s not enough that I’ve gone through every page and changed, deleted, and yes, sometimes left the word in. That’s because I like it. Somehow, it’s a four letter word that has become special to me, although, I do realize as a writer I’m just going to have to keep that to myself and try to keep it out of my manuscript. Sigh, that’s too bad, I think I might miss that.

6 comments:

  1. THAT's AMAZING! Good observation. I am however very conscious of THAT word now when I speak, text, email or in any other form of communication I may use. Maybe I should stick with telepathy, after all, my wife expects me to read her mind all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh That is a shame! LOL I LOVE your Blog! I should update mine more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind-a fun and whimisical. Enjoyed it. And thats all I have to say about THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the most profound thoughts that I have read today. Imagine that. It completes a sentence all on it own. I can't wait to here what comes after that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, thank you for commenting. Just think of all the points you could make if you could read your wifes mind.

    ReplyDelete