Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Some of my favorites

When someone finds out I write books, they usually ask, “So, what’s the best book you’ve ever read?” or “Who is your favorite author?” I have to say my favorite book—well, I can’t pick just one. It’s like choosing one chocolate candy and sticking with it as your favorite and sometimes you feel like M& M’s and sometimes you need a little Reese Peanut Butter Cups. As for authors it's the same, I like Jodi Picoult, Barbara Delinsky, Jane Austen—of course, Janet Evanovich, Stephenie Myers, Kate Jacobs, and so many others.

But these are some of my favorite writing books that I use. I have found them helpful, inspiring, and sometimes down right annoying. Usually, that's when I've done a major mistake and I have to go back and fix it. But, all in all, I think these books have helped me grow and become better at what I love to do. So here are my picks for the best books for writers.






So, tell me what are some of your favorite authors or books?

3 comments:

  1. There are a few things you should know about me first: One, I don't like libraries...the public kind anyway. Borders or Barnes and Noble and now Powell's are completely fine for use as a library because you get to own it when you walk out. Two, it is completely impossible to pin down my favorites because I have my favorites and then my FAVORITES! But let me give you a VERY SMALL sampling...

    Leslee Benson! Love her stuff and for those of you who haven't read it, you are missing out; check her out!

    Classics: Love most of them: Wuthering Heights (Deliciously Dark, Still so humanly compelling.); Anything Jane Austin;
    Bridge to Terabitha (I fell in love in fifth grade.)Shakespeare, Hawthorne, Dickenson...

    Now some more recent pics...I love YA LIT! Maybe I haven't grown up yet, maybe it is just where I belong? So, here goes...

    Stephenie Meyer (Twilight and The Host); Allison Croggin (Pellinor Series); Alyson Noel (Anything she writes); Maggie Stiefvater (Shiver-this one is yummy); Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games series-it will haunt you); and one that fits the same shoes-I think-as Hunger Games is Lois Lowry (The Giver).

    So where do grown up people books come in...okay fine, I've read a few of those here and there, too...

    Anything Orson Scott Card; N. Scott Momaday (If you have any interest in Native American Lit); Anita Austin (Eve's Daughters); and Amy Tan (The Joy Luck Club).

    So, my favorites are many and they are varied; this is just a teaspoon in the lake of my favorites. If I listed all of them I would have to pull out the boxes of books that I have no shelves for. I don't keep a book I don't love and if I love it, well, I'm a snob and I want it in hardback. I will go to great lengths to find it in hardback and in good condition...someday I will have a "library room." There is nothing better than a book in your hands(that belongs to you), a comfy throw, fuzzy socks and a cup of hot cocoa. My idea of the perfect honeymoon...Oh, I mean vacation. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, such a difficult couple of questions to answer. Right now my favorite book is Angels & Demons but when I was younger my favorite book was Island of the Blue Dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pride and Prejudice and the Twilight saga and books about fashion sense and style; oh!! and sewing books, I can NEVER have enough!

    ReplyDelete